In the early 1900's
Mary Knoblock operated a midwife hospital in her home, located on Section
Line Avenue. Seaside had no regular hospital at this time and other
cases were sent to Astoria.
Otto Building was constructed around 1914 and was located on the Northwest
corner of Broadway and Roosevelt. The second floor of the Otto Building
was the location of Seaside's first hospital, Seaside General Hospital.
The Hospital moved to the Johnson's Hotel on the west side of North
Holladay, between 4th and 5th Avenue, and was there for several years.
Helen Reh Bany was superintendent of Seaside General Hospital until
it closed in the mid-1930's. Mrs. Bany then took patients into her home
on 2nd Avenue until it became necessary to have larger quarters.
In March 1936 Mrs. Bany, assisted by Mrs. Milan Pizer, dietitian, opened
the "new" Seaside General Hospital, again on the second floor
of the Otto Building.
1945, toward the end of World War II, a new hospital was build at 1801
S. Franklin where the Administrative Offices of the Seaside School District
are presently located. This was the new location of Seaside General
Hospital until 1970 when the Hospital moved to its present location
of 725 South Wahanna Road.
North Coast Medical Center opened in 1980 in its own building on the
Hospital campus. In 1992 the Center was purchased by the Sisters of
Providence Health System and renamed Providence North Coast Clinic.
Vincent Hospital and Medical Center assumed management of the Seaside
General Hospital in July 1981 and in August 1989 the Sisters of Providence,
Oregon Regional Office assumed management of the Hospital. In February
1990 the name of the Hospital was formally changed to Providence Seaside
credits to: Providence Seaside Hospital, Seaside Signal file report,
Seaside Museum. These records, which contain more information, may be
located in the Reference Library of the Seaside Museum.
(Written August 8, 2001)