Seaside, Oregon's first
seashore resort, had become a major tourist attraction of the
Pacific Northwest by 1888. Excursion boats came down the Columbia
River with vacationers who disembarked on a railroad trestle
in the bay near Skipanon (Warrenton) and then to Seaside by
Grimes built a hotel on
the Necanicum River, but, as more accommodations were needed,
he built tent platforms in the grove of trees between the river
and the ocean. This area became known as Grimes Grove.
By the 1890s, cottages were
being built along the path to the beach. Horace Seely Butterfield,
a prominent Portland jeweler, built the Butterfield Cottage in 1893.
The house had many additions and changes over the years. It was used
by the Butterfields for their beach cottage until 1903 when they built
five new cottages on the ocean front.
In 1907 Guy E. DeGolia became
the caretaker and in 1912 he took Emelia "Emma" Bitterling
Roberts as his bride. Emelia continued to live in the cottage for
most of her life, as the caretaker, and she operated it as a rooming
house in the summer.
Many people remember the building
as "The House of Roberts". Marion Roberts opened a millinery
shop in 1958. She was well known for her designer chapeaus.
1972 "21 North Columbia", the original location of
the Butterfield Cottage, became an antique shop. On December
5, 1984 the Butterfield Cottage was given to the Seaside Museum
and Historical Society and moved to its present location at
570 Necanicum Drive. It has been interpretively restored to
be used as a museum depicting a beach cottage and rooming house
The Butterfield Cottage is the only cottage
which has survived from the original Grimes Grove, which is the
present location of Seaside's downtown core area.